WAVERTREE GARDEN SUBURB
Liverpool Garden Suburb Tenants , a subsidiary of Co-Partnership Tenants Ltd. was founded in 1909. The first part was planned by Unwin and the first houses were occupied by 1912. The second part, begun in 1913 was planned by G. L. Sutcliffe who designed most of the 360 houses. Originally 1800 were intended but WW1 brought a halt to the development. The houses display Sutcliffe's careful attention to form and restrained approach to Arts and Crafts flourishes. The architecture is in the cottage style; a mixture of brick and render with sprocketed roofs, exposed rafter tails and elegantly detailed and proportioned casement windows. Planned at 12 houses to an acre this allowed large gardens and open spaces, Tree lined streets, tennis courts, children's playground and bowling-green were part of the scheme and from early days the co-partnership tenancies and amenities fostered a sense of community that survives in the activities of the Wavertree Society.
Conservation Area Designated 1971 with Article 4 Direction Planning Authority Liverpool City Council
The architecture is now compromised by UPVC replacement windows, but enough houses remain conserved so that the original character and quality of the whole estate can be imagined. It is well worth visiting to see some of Sutcliffe's lovely designs before more original windows are lost.
Paradise Planned The Garden Suburb and the Modern City
Robert A.M.Stern, David Fishman & Jacob Tilove: The Monacelli Press
Co-Partnership Housing-Creating Places
Co-operative housing development of the Garden Suburbs 1900-1914. Based on a talk given to the Brentham Society 1998 by Stephen Smith