PENKHULL GARDEN VILLAGE
North Staffordshire was one of the sites considered for a large garden city, but after it was decided to build at Letchworth, this small garden village was developed by The Stoke-on Trent Tenants Ltd. in 1910. It was intended to be far larger. Penkhull was originally a co-partnership venture. However, eventually houses were sold to raise capital for further development. The elevated site was chosen to avoid the smoke from the potteries.
While Parker & Unwin had a hand in the project, the first houses were designed by W. Campbell & Sons of Hanley. The architecture was Arts & Crafts influenced with complex roofs and small paned casement windows. The houses, mainly facing south, were grouped together with greens and other amenities. Existing trees were retained and hedges used as boundary markers: each house was given an eighth of an acre garden and residents encouraged to grow produce.
Conservation Area since 2007
While some of the original character is compromised by alterations such as modern windows and replacement of hedging by close board fencing, Penkhull remains an attractive garden village with a sense of green enclosure and gentle charm.