PINEHURST HOUSING ESTATE
The Pinehurst housing estate stands about two miles north of Swindon town centre. It was the first housing estate to be built by Swindon Corporation, and construction began in 1919, to plans laid out by Sir Raymond Unwin on his design principle of concentric circles. It has never been acknowledged as a Garden Suburb, however the original layout concept and connection to Unwin means it is clearly part of the history of GS influence on town planning.
It has not been protected by the Conservation Area status it might no doubt earlier have attracted and consequently, it has suffered from the blight of modern infill developments, and from the “improvements” to many of its houses resulting from the introduction of the right-to-buy scheme in 1980.
For more information click here